Commissary - Inmate Deposits
Inmate commissary deposits can be made online. There is also a kiosk in the jail lobby which will accept cash or credit cards. You will need the inmate's prisoner identification number to make this deposit. Money is not accepted at the lobby window, nor cash sent through the mail. If mailing funds to an inmate, only Postal Money orders will be accepted. Money received during book-in will be credited to the inmate's commissary account for use. Inmates order commissary on Sundays and Tuesdays and their orders are delivered on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Jefferson County now accepts credit and debit card payments through GovPayNet. Payments can be made with a major credit, debit or prepaid debit card. Bonds cannot be split in half, i.e. half cash and half credit card. After initial hearing an inmates bond can be paid at the Jefferson County Clerks Office. The receipt is then brought back to the Jefferson County Jail and verified by jail staff prior to the release of the inmate. Pre-Initial hearing bonds as well as bonds after the Jefferson County Clerks Office is closed can be paid with cash at the Jefferson County Jail.
The Jefferson County Jail has full time medical staff on site 40 hours a week. If you have any medical needs, or special concerns, please contact the nurse at least 48 hour before your stay to discuss those needs. Inmates can supply their own medications as long as they are approved by the Jefferson County Jail medical doctor and not on the restricted list.
There are co-pays for the following services:
- Doctor or nurse visit - $15
- Dentist visit - $15
- Monthly refills - $15
- New prescription - $15
- Over the Counter Medication - $7.50
All communications with inmates will be done through either a scheduled visit, a collect phone call initiated by the inmate, or through the U.S. mail. The staff, with the exception of emergencies, cannot pass messages; these are directed to the Jail Commander. If you wish to have your telephone number(s) blocked from receiving collect telephone calls from this facility, please contact the jail staff at 812-265-2649.
Family and friends wishing to send mail to an inmate in the Jefferson County Jail, please address the envelope as follows:
Inmate's First and Last Name
C/O Jefferson County Jail
317 Walnut Street
Madison, IN 47250
Please be certain to have your return address in the upper left hand corner of the envelope. (This will ensure the return of the letter in case the inmate has left our facility). No form of payment (cash, check, money order, etc.) will be accepted through mail. Please do not place stickers or glitter on the material inside the envelope or the outside of the letter. With the exception of legal mail, all mail is inspected for any and all types of contraband. No pornographic photos or Polaroid photographs are permitted. No cards or coloring pages permitted.
- Clothing - All underclothing must be white or gray in color, no under wire bras are allowed. Only the underclothing worn when the individual reports will be allowed into the jail with a limit of 2 sets. Any items brought into the jail other than those listed will be documented and placed into your personal property and released upon your booking out of the jail.
- Hygiene - Hygiene packs are available at the time of booking. Indigent hygiene packs are distributed once a week.
- Jewelry - Wedding bands, medic alert bracelets, and religious medallions (less than 2 inches in either diameter or length) may be worn.
- Laundry - All inmates are given the opportunity to have their under garments laundered twice weekly.
- Library - No reading material may be brought into the jail. Inmates have access to books within the jail once per week. Religious materials must be approved through the Sheriff's Chaplain.